Monday, February 2, 2009

TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY

I recently finished the book Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I did not really expect anything in particular, I just thought it sounded pretty good. It is on the New York Times Best Seller list. This book had an interesting layout to it and it was really appealing to me. It kept me interested and wanting to get to the end the entire time. The way the characters were described or weren't kept me always curious of who they really were. How do you really know how your actions affect people?

In my class we are starting a project where we do a analysis on a book. Most likely it is supposed to be non-fiction so you can do research alongside it. I have not really found a non-fiction book but this book really interested me and I thought I could do a good report on it even though it is not non-fiction. I talked to my teacher a bit about doing this book for the report and I think if I keep in touch with him so I can stay on topic, this project can be really interesting and turn out well.

The cassette tapes were from a girl at school who had committed suicide. They go through all the reasons that have caused her to end her own life. As one of the kids at school listens and experiences all of her emotions and thoughts you are along for the ride to experience them too. The things she goes through has a snowball effect that keep making how she feels worse and worse. The event itself might be bearable, but each one keeps building and building on each other.

Personally I never think that ending your own life is the answer to anything. It does not solve the problem, it is only an ending point. I am sure there are lots of emotions and thoughts that roll through your head if you are suicidal. I wonder if those that have succeeded at it have had regrets when it happens. Are they really happy to end their life rather than live it? Who knows what someones exact reasons are for doing it. No one can really go through what those people feel, but I really think just doing an extra something for any person every day can really make the lives of those better. Reaching out to a new and different someone can maybe surprise you as to an interesting character you can connect with. You don't even have to be a good person to ease the lives of someone who could potentially be one of those considering suicide. Any little thing could help.

No comments: