Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Avenue Q!

Alongside show choir I've been involved in the speech team. The past years have not been quite as interesting, but this year we got a new theatre director. The whole program has been turned around, and our director has devoted a lot of his time to it.

I was not even interested in trying out for the speech team, but one of my good friends convinced me since they needed some girls. I tried out and I was really hoping for a singing part, since that is what I enjoy doing out of all the options on the team. I ended up getting a part in the Avenue Q musical theatre group. The friend that convinced me to try out said my part of Kate, was the part that a lot of the girls wanted to get. I was so excited and could not wait until practices started. The group had six of us and I knew everyone pretty well from show choir. The chemistry I have with all of them is great.

As we began learning our parts, I really tried to embrace who my character was. I also tried to get myself more familiar with the entire musical itself. I found the character named Lucy the Slut. As soon as I listened to her part, I desired to perform it! The voice range is perfect for me, and it is always fun to act a little slutty for a role. I wished so much that she was in the section of the musical that we performed. Now I can only dream of what it could be.

Practices started slow, getting everything together. Everyone clicked really well and that created a lot of talking and distractions during practice. Things still were accomplished though and I am really excited to perform it. These last rehearsals are more focused and I love being able to create and put input into the play itself, rather than just having everything told to you. Recently we had a man come in to help us on our technique of singing. Most of the people were unable to thoroughly sing because they had lost their voice to show choir the night before. I did not scream full out the night before...smart. When I sang my part, the man told me that he did not even have anything to say to me because it was great. That was probably the cherry on top to this entire experience so far. Tomorrow we have a performance to our friends and family at home that I can not wait to show everyone. Then this weekend we have a competition that I am really hoping we do well in because I would like to move on to the next level.

There are speech t-shirts that are supposed to be really cool. I can not wait to wear it in a couple days. Tight t-shirts just really make everything feel legit. This year in speech has really been a great stop and I do not want it to end.

No comments: