Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mi Hermano

My brother has currently been in the army for about a year and a half now. He went in straight out of high school. College was never really his thing to do first. It is kind of harder to deal with because I never really get to see him. He came home for Thanksgiving break once and then Christmas but those were the only times I saw him. He has always been a very smart kid in school but never really applied himself. I think that his ideas have always been different and never has seen the direct point of the way things are done in school. This is mainly why I was concerned for him to go into college so I was glad when he decided to join the army right out of high school.

He took the test and passed with very high scores so he had many jobs to choose from. In the end he chose to train to be an intelligence analyst. Since he has joined the army in a time of war there was always the possibility of him being deployed over seas. The possibility happened and he was sent over on December 5, so he missed Christmas with us. Before he was deployed he got to come home for a couple weeks though, which was very nice since we wont see him for probably over a year.

My brother has always been a major part of my life and one of my best friends. I always worry about him no matter what, even if he thinks nothing bad will happen. He was an eagle scout when he was involved in boy scouts. My dad has always been a big part in pushing us kids to be involved in scouts and get high ranks. I wish there was a prestigous level for girls but girl scouts was never really my thing. I always would watch my brothers and want to do what they did instead of the girly house wife activities we did in girl scouts.

After boy scouts came a crew called Venture 2000. Here us kids were introduced more to shooting sports. This is how come my brother has excelled in shooting and maybe gave him more interest into joining the army. I have been so happy for him since he has been noticed outshining a lot of the other guys around him. He stays focused and puts his all into it even if he does get down on himself sometimes.

Since he is now in Iraq, I wish him the best and hope he just keeps impressing who he needs to impress to make his life better. All I want is for him to come back alright so I can stop worrying about his life and go back to only worrying how his ex that I don't like wants him back.

No comments: