Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Vocal Tryouts

The other day we had vocal tryouts for choirs next year. The day of class was pretty much a free day except that you could tryout for the choirs if you wanted to during some point of the period. When the time came I really had no idea what I was going to sing. I was not really worried about finding a song. I went out in the line in the hallway waiting to tryout without even knowing what song I was going to sing. When I got in line I started to think of what I could sing. A lot of people were doing their songs from their voice lessons or from just a solo, but I did not really want to sing any of those songs. I kept thinking and asking people for what I should sing, but I do not really think anyone cared because they were busy worrying about their own audition, which I can completely understand.

I asked one of my senior friends earlier what I should sing and she told me I should sing a Sara Barielles or Brooke Fraser song. Since I could not really find any other song that I really felt like singing I started to think of different songs from those two people that I could quickly figure out since I listen to them all the time. I could not think of how the songs went though. Its only the time when you really need to remember that you suddenly have a brain fart. This is what happened to me. So quickly I went back into the classroom and asked if anyone had an ipod. One person said asked what I wanted to listen to and looked it up on their phone quick. I listened to the song and just decided to sing it. The song was Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser. I went back in line and sang the song when it was my turn to audition. I thought it went really well and I made a good decision to sing that song because it made me feel satisfied with my performance.

I love just singing any song by Sara Barielles or Brooke Fraser. Their music is so intriguing to me and I would have to say they are high on the list of artists that I look up to. Anyone who likes one of these artists will most likely find the other enjoyable.

No comments: